Tuesday, March 14, 2017



Image result for south korea flag Image result for special education
Special Education Referral Process in South Korea

Special education does exist in South Korea! However, it's one of those things that everybody knows exists but nobody feels comfortable talking about. Recently, this attitude is changing and is reflected in legislation and people's minds. I was able to sit down and discuss special education referral with two of my three co-teachers. My co-teachers are devoted and caring, they constantly attend provincial continuing education workshops and are always willing to assist me in the classroom or answer my questions. Though, I might not always agree with them, I respect them immensely as teachers and persons. My findings are contradictory, some things are "hush hush" and others great programs like the "We Program" are talked about openly. 

My Disclaimer
When you read this blog, please read it with an "open mind." Eastern and western cultures differ in their views. It doesn't mean one view is better than the other, it is simply the way that it is viewed in a particular culture. Because I grew up in American culture but live in Korea (and am learning the language), I have a unique perspective in regards to both. 

What is the law regarding special education in South Korea?
Korean Law No.13-1 of 2011  states schools may not discriminate or refuse admission based on learning difficulties or special needs.
The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology provides free education for children with physical and intellectual disabilities from the age of five to 18. Currently, there is one special education school located in Yeosu; Yeosu Yeomyoeong Special School. My co-teacher explained that this school is located in the suburb of Yeocheon and all age levels attend. She told me that a group of Canadian English teachers requested to visit the school but the principal declined. At first, I thought this a bid odd, why would he turn down a simple request? But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. These are students who need help and it's probably an uncomfortable or awkward situation for them to have a group of foreigners (visibly different) come and observe them. I would not want that for my child. 
According to Korean law, there must be at least one school in each province to cater for children with special learning needs. In many cases, children with disabilities are included in mainstream education. However, that does not mean that each school is compliant or has an integration program. Most schools in Korea are not handicapped accessible (physical handicap) or have special needs programs for those with learning disorders or difficulties. My school in Yeosu has three floors, but there are no ramps or elevators. Students with physical disabilities cannot attend my school, the accommodations simply aren't there. I asked my co-teacher about this as well. Even if there is no mental disability, the student cannot attend because of the lack of facilities to accommodate them.
How are students enrolled for special education in South Korea?
To enroll a child at a school for special needs, the child first has to be registered as a child with a disability at their local district office, and then parents can make an application at the school of their choice. However, most districts don't have a lot of schools to chose from when you are outside of a major metropolitan area. 
My thoughts
When I spoke with my co-teachers (individually), I was not at all surprised by what they told me. They each had very different opinions, I could sense that one of my co-teachers was fully aware that there are special needs students in our school. I felt that not only was she aware of the situation, she also realized that she is helpless and cannot do anything to help the student or contact the parent. She confirmed to me what I had already suspected; it's not an openly talked about or acknowledged situation between parents and teachers here. She informed me that Korean parents push their kids hard (out of love) academically and refuse to admit that their child has an issue. To do so, is seen as a disadvantage for the child. As mentioned in my prior blog, South Korea is an extremely competitive society where students are constantly ranked according to academic performance. Because of this, parents push them to attend the best schools and to attend evening hagwons (academies) into the late hours of the night. Even if the kids have a disability or difficulty, many times, parents " over look" it and push them to excel. I could sense that she didn't agree with the parents choices, but out of respect for her, I didn't ask her for further information. However, she did tell me that the signs she looks for in her classes for students that many need special help are the students who constantly sleep, or talk and disrupt class. 
My first co-teacher informed me that officially our school is not a special education school, nor does it have the resources for it. Our school is the number one ranked boy's private middle school in the city. My other co-teacher "Miss Kim" informed me that even if there were a special needs student here, the parent would never discuss this with the teacher. To bring attention to that, means the student would possibly have to leave the school, which decreases his chance of  attending a "top" high school which would decrease his change to attend a top university. 
As a teacher in South Korea, I've noticed two things. Physical disabilities, learning disabilities, and difficulties (where there is no disability present) all seem to be umbrella'd under the same term. Which means, students with these "needs" all attend the same school. The second thing that I noticed is that students with difficulties and learning disability absolutely exist here! I have one particular student that seems to have major social and focus issues. He is a great kid with a kind heart but I see him struggle to make friends or focus in class. His focus is non-existent in my class. My co-teacher acknowledged she believes the same thing about the student but pretty much let me know that the student's status wouldn't change because his parents want him to attend this school. This reaffirms to me that the special education referral process here excludes the teacher, it seems to be only between the parent and the school district. Unless there is major impairment or disability, most likely, parents will send their kids to a "normal" guy whether or not it has the tools to help them. 
Though I cannot change the system, I can control how I present things in my classroom. In my previous assignment, I talked about how I use technology in my classroom to help differentiate instruction. When I present a lesson or topic, I use an LCD flat screen touch panel, roughly the size of the front chalk board. When I present new information or have students perform a task, I present the instructions in many different ways simultainiously. First, I have the written english words, colorful fonts and big sized, then I have a picture of the word in use (vocuabulary), then I usually always have an audio clip. All of my students LOVE K-pop and the American band Maroon 5, I work those guys into many of my lessons! For instance today, I was teaching my grade 3 students how to respond to the question "what are you doing?" There response is in three parts...("I'm thinking of eating pizza). I had a picture of the number "3". I had 3 different slides. I explained in what I wanted, then went back and showed them what I wanted. This works really well for them! I told them there response is three parts (each part was a different font and color), and I used a picture for the nouns. Example
I am thinking of  +  ing  + what/where
           (1)                   (2)      (3)
                             (i insert a picture here and here (2)(3).
By using this method, I am not "singling anyone out," I am using instruction for EVERYONE. I don't mind explaining and presenting things using many different methods. Things aren't black and white, and teacher's shouldn't think this way. I am happy to do anything to help my students progress and learn/absorb the material. After I present the information, I ask a question. I then have the students explain to me what I want. They then write the answer on a white board in their group (students desks are grouped in pairs of 5), I have found this to be highly successful! I explain things in a way that appeals to all of my students. I don't "dumb anything down," I explain it many different ways along with lots of visuals! Also, I am available to my students all day long and they know they can come to me individually if they are more comfortable. 
Conclusion
Special education is still being integrated into Korean schools, the laws are there officially, but they have a long ways to go. The fact that physical disabilities and learning disorders are now being discussed between parents and doctors is a promising sign. I really believe that more and more integration will occur when parents stop pushing their kids so hard to succeed academically.  There is pressure and then there is too much pressure! Ignoring your kids difficulties or disabilities doesn't help them, it makes their childhood and education more difficult for them. :(  I am confident this will change as Korean society is constantly changing, I just think it will be awhile until it changes. 
My school has implemented a program called "We." Our school has a full time counselor dedicated to the "We" Program located on the first floor next to our teacher's room. If students are having emotional or learning difficulties then they can meet with the counselor anytime. To my surprise, many students use this program and feel comfortable about doing so. I have a Grade 3 student (he is a 4.0 student) who told me he likes talking to the counselor because the counselor helps him with advice and to stay organized! My co-teacher informed me that they can make "suggestions" to the WE counselor, and the WE counselor will summons the student and they start a "plan" together. With parents talking more and advocacy groups starting to form, I see these all as positive steps! 
References
Ministry of Education. (2017). Policies and Programs. Retrieved March 14, 2017 from http://english.mest.go.kr/sub/info.do?m=040101&s=english
Understanding the IEP Process (2016). Retrieved March 14, 2017, from http://www.understandingspecialeducation.com/IEP-process.html
Image References
Flag of the Republic of Korea. (2008, January 1) Retrieved March 14, 2017, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Korea#/media/File:Flag_of_South_Korea.svg
Special Education. (n.d.). Retrieved March 14, 2017 from https://www.google.com/search?q=special+education&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA8vDGwNXSAhWLa7wKHWZXCWoQ_AUICCgD&biw=999&bih=714#imgrc=uzafJaEEy31PaM:




No comments:

Post a Comment