Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Applying Classroom Rules and Procedures



Image result for classroom rules

Applying Classroom Rules and Procedures

I'm not a perfect teacher; I'm human. I admit that sometimes it can be difficult maintaining the "perfect" classroom atmosphere; especially when teaching ESL. I think that it's the most challenging aspect of being a teacher. As an educator, there are times when we tend to focus more on negative behavior instead of positive behavior. I know that I need to improve upon acknowledging students' good behavior. Don't misunderstand me, I praise my students frequently! However, it is usually academic related praise instead of good behavior praise.  I think teachers become comfortable and rely on our good students' and their nice behavior too much. I think that I don't acknowledge students' good behavior enough. Sure, there are times that I point out disrespectful or disruptive behavior; but not as much as I should be doing it. As I write this, I'm thinking about how unfair that is to my good students who behave nicely and respectfully to each other and me. It's not fair to them for me to never acknowledge their good behavior and only focus on the bad behavior of certain students. 


I'm having a wave of "deja vous" as I write this. I remember when I had a part time supermarket job in high school, I worked three to four days a week. I had a manager who was pretty strict with the employees, especially the high school students. I remember that I had coworkers that always took advantage of the rules and took longer breaks or stayed outside gathering shopping carts too long. I, for the most part, was not one of those employees. I arrived to work on time, I was respectful, and did what was asked of me. It seemed that my boss always focused on my coworkers and their wrong doings. I recall asking my dad why mom boss never really focused on me (unless there was a "no-call" and they needed someone reliable to come in and fill the shift). He told me that not being on the bosses bad side, or not being on their "radar" was a good thing. At the time, I didn't think so. I felt invisible and unimportant. Yes, that's the word, unimportant. I am of the generation that was "coddled" too much at school at told we were "superstars," maybe that's why I craved acknowledgement.

Image result for male cashier clipart                                      Image result for first job
 At home was a different story, my parents were strict and instilled a sense of responsibility in me rather than entitlement. Yet, I still felt unappreciated at work. I asked my boss why she never acknowledged my good doings. She was strict (but fair) and had built a good rapport with my parents. She told me "I'm not going to praise you for doing what you should be doing, that's your job." Looking back now, I realize she was teaching me a life lesson, but at the time I was oblivious to that. I told my mom what I had said to my boss and my mom's response was that my boss was correct! Was I satisfied? Did I have closure? Nope! I wanted some form of acknowledgement. I did receive it when I was eighteen years old, I was the youngest cashier in the store to be promoted to customer service. I don't think for a moment that my boss was cold or didn't appreciate me; she was "old school" and felt that I should do what was expected of me. Now that the shoe "is on the other foot" and I have students in my care; I want them to feel that I appreciate their good behavior in class. 

Classroom Rules 
Below you will find my "decision chart" which shows how I will react to student behavior in my classroom. At the top of the chart is the "starting point," that moment when I first walk into the classroom. That moment "makes or breaks" the rapport that I have with my students for the next forty five minutes. I access my mood and demeanor, "am I calm?" "Do I seem agitated or in a good mood?" "How is my facial expression, do I seem stern?" "How am I mentally?" If I am questioning or doubting any of my internal questions, it's time for me to start back over at square one, step outside of the classroom and compose myself. Time to reassess. If I know I feel good (or am at least putting on a "teacher face," then I'm good to go and ready to start class.






Giving positive reinforcement to students in a society of collectivism. 
Image result for collectivism              Image result for collectivism
First things first, it is difficult giving positive reinforcement to my Korean students. Because Korea is a Confucian collective society, many people don't like to be "singled out," even if it's for a "pat on the back." Mind you, that mentality is slowly changing. My grade 7 students love being praised and when I give them compliments they reply with a sarcastic "Yes, I know!" However, my grade nine students feel uncomfortable and immediately deflect the attention given to them by me. If I praise other students in the classroom within the same time period it's less uncomfortable for my students. Ultimately though,I do see them smile (even a little) when I praise them for a job well done. I know they take the praising "to heart." However, I question the motives of my students sometimes. In the classroom, just like the rest of Korean society, competition is the driving force! "What? I thought you said this was a collectivist society?" It is... until the topic of education, and students' futures are at stake. In most Korean classrooms a merit/demerit system is used. During my lessons, my co-teacher awards points to students who answer questions correctly and participate in the class discussion. My opinion influences points award, as well. My students are aware of this, and sometimes when I compliment them they immediately ask me to tell the co-teacher to give them a point and log it in the attendance book. 

How will I show positive reinforcement for students who follow the rules?

  • Praise and non verbal acknowledgements/gestures. A thumbs up, high five, smile, or should pat goes a "long ways" with my students. I'm fortunate that I have a good rapport with my students and can do this. Sometimes to be funny, I walk by them and "pat" their hair to make it messy. I do this for two reasons, they are so particular about their hair (middle school boys) and they tease me about my shaved head all of the time. This method of acknowledging is done in "good fun," and my students know this. 
  • Tangible measurements/token economy. At the beginning of each class, all student groups start out with a "clean plate." If they answer questions correctly, engage with each other respectfully, or behave nicely, I award them with a point. At the end of the period, the group of students with the most points can leave first and they get merit points which my co-teacher logs into the class book. (This book follows the students daily from class to class). Periodically during the semester, I do give students snack rewards. 
  • Tracking/logging student behavior in Class Dojo. I just started the process of using Class Dojo (an online tracking site that allows teachers to track attendance and students behaviors) for my after school English club. This will allow me to see patterns in the students' behavior.
  • Contacting parents. Though I am not able to do this here in the Korean public school system, my hope is to be able to do this in an international school classroom setting. I believe it "takes a village." I truly believe in that philosophy, keeping parents informed of students positive behavior creates strong classroom stability. Students will be more respectful and willing to work harder if parents are involved. 

What happens if rules are broken?
Image result for follow the rules
It's inevitable, rules will be broken from time to time. After all, kids are kids. I try to remember that when it comes time to "discipline" students. 

  • Verbally or non-verbally pointing out to the student what he or she should be doing. Standing near a student who is off-task or asking a student a clarifying question can serve as effective types of redirection. I am a "walker," I move around my classroom frequently. If I stand next to a student when they are off topic; that is usually enough and the problem ceases there. 
  • Face-to-Face Conference with the Student.
    The best way for me to do this is immediately after class. I tell the student to stay and I tell them two things (which seems to work), I tell them how much I like them and how much they disappointed me today. They usually acknowledge their actions, bow their heads and say "mian haeyo" (I'm sorry). 
  • Relocate the student to the back corner of the classroom for a time out. My hope is that this serves as a "cooling off" or diffusing period for the student. After I can see that they have calmed themselves, I will allow them back into the classroom flow. 
  • Contact the student's parent/guardian, (phone initially, if problem persists, then face-to-face meeting). I will start the call on a positive note by saying positive things about the student. After that, I will discuss my concerns and inform the parent that the student is disrupting the learning process for everyone. I will also inform them of the disciplinary process that has been administered up to that point. I will also "pick" the parent's brain for suggestions on how to "get through" to the student. Who knows a child better than their own parent? 
* A personal note: my students are mostly well behaved and respectful and I enjoy my time teaching them in the classroom. I have never had to send a student out of class or contact a parent. In Korea, parents are usually never ever contacted unless the student has done something severe. 

ConclusionMotivating students, maintaining order, and being self aware is a "science." I think anyone who says that it isn't must be a "perfect educator". I make mistakes,  I own them and I apologize to my students. I have good days and bad days, lessons that feel l "rocked" and others that I know I could "tweak" to improve them. Everyday, I am learning more about myself and my students. Teachers invest in continuing education so they can be at the "top of their game," and teach updated information to students. Obtaining all of the knowledge in the world isn't going to prepare them or help their students if they can't relate to, motivate, and show their students that they care and are invested in them. If students know that you are genuinely invested in them, they adhere more to the rules and "self police" each other. 


References

Marzano, R. J. (2007). The Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction. Alexandria, VA: ASCD. Retrieved May 30, 2017.














No comments:

Post a Comment