Wednesday, May 17, 2017

High Performance Learning Environment Video Reviews



Image result for academic performance
(image via www.dunecraft.com)

High Performance Learning Environments

Welcome back to my teaching blog. This blog explores the road to obtaining my Teacher's License. Blood, sweat, and tears, as well as trial and error, are the ingredients in the crazy dish known as my life. Even though I am already teaching in the classroom, I have a "long way" to go. There are so many methods and styles that I want to improve upon in my classroom. I am a student as well as a teacher; my students, co-workers, and fellow TEACH-NOW cohort members help contribute to my success by continuing to teach me new methods and ideas. 

One of the areas of teaching that I hope to improve upon is establishing an environment for successful learning. This is one of the most crucial aspects of teaching. This week, we were given an opportunity to learn how to foster a stronger learning environment through this week's unit readings and videos. Below, you will find my commentary in regards to three teaching videos included in the Teach Now curriculum. For each video, I will discuss three points:

  • Academic Expectations
  • Behavior Expectations
  • Norms and Procedures



(Image via www.spring.org.uk)
Academic Expectations
My favorite of the three videos was the first video; Ms. Migdol's "Roller Coaster Physics" Class.  The Roller Coaster lesson is fascinating, it's a great example of bringing project based learning to the classroom. This video gave me a sense of deja-vouz. It  took me back to my 7th grade Shop class. At the time, the CAD system was a popular "design" program. That was in 1993, it seems so archaic and primitive now. Our teacher, Mr. Miller, divided the class into groups of two. Our assignment was to use the computer (we're not talking a sleek macbook or fast PC, it was a slow, clunky, massive monster of a computer) to design a vehicle and actually build it in woodworking/shop class. It was trial and error, but less "hands on" then the rollercoaster project. My partner and I designed a fusion sports car/van...what were we thinking?! After spending the first class period designing it on the CAD computer program, we now had to create the car in the wood shop. It was an ugly car, but we received an A! It was a fun and effective assignment. We studied friction, torque...etc., and how design can "make or break" a product. I am 37 years old, I think it's saying something that I remember this lesson.  Such a huge sense of deja-vouz with this video! It was apparent in viewing this video, that Ms. Migdol has high expectations for her students and they live up to her standards. She knows that by setting the "bar" high, the students have the ability to achieve more than what she was asking. Also, she gives the students a sense of ownership; each student had an active role in the group project. The chiming was an effective assessment method for both teacher and student. It showed the teacher what the students comprehended and where they needed practice.  Overall, the best video.


Image result for china
(image via www.tes.com)
Maybe I am biased, but I did not fully grasp the Chinese Math lesson. I felt as if there was a piece of the puzzle missing. I am familiar with the eastern Asian education system as I am a teacher in the Korean Public School System. Rote memorization still plays a huge rule in the education system here. Students study, study, and study more. They memorize answers for tests. In Korea high schools, students study and prepare for a test that determines their whole future. One test. This test is make or break. It is so important in Korea, that all Korean Airports ground flights during the instructional portion of the exam.  Students learn the answers, but they don't learn the "why." As an educator, I feel it is important to know how one arrived to the answer. If students know the "why" (reason); they are more likely to remember and retain what they've learned. 

Image result for chinese math
(www.pinterest.com)
Though the lesson seemed interactive and fun, it felt as if the students were just regurgitating a melody that they learned. Last November, one of my co-teachers pulled me aside after class to offer some feedback. I like and respect this teacher, I always gladly accept their advice. My co-teacher said that I need to stop asking the students "why" so much, as it confuses them. I felt like I was hit with a brick. I always, even to this day, ask my students "why?".  It is imperative for me as an educator to assess my students' abilities; asking "why" allows me to do this. If the students in this video are signing a tune; (there is nothing wrong with that, it's how I learned the alphabet when I was young), does this help them problem solve more difficult equations later down the road? Or am I being to analytical? I am certainly open-minded and will eat my words if this brings better results for the students.
Image result for hand clap
The third video was Ms. Macken's class. She uses an "interesting" method known as "whole brain teaching." This method involves teaching "chunks" of the lesson one at a time. Though "fascinating." I did not relate to this video at all. Knowing my students; they would not be able to function in this environment. I felt that the academic expectation was exhausting! I cannot see that applying to a middle school or high school classroom. Maybe this method helps students focus or remember assigned tasks, but how does this help them with critical thinking or retaining what they have learned?  I did not like the clapping rhythms approach, this would be chaos in my boys' middle school classroom. 


Image result for behavior expectations                   Image result for behavior expectations
Behavior Expectations
Behavior expectations are a "given" for every classroom, yet they can be the most difficult to establish. It's important to implement good behavior expectations as early as possible! I establish behavior expectations in my introductory lesson every year. This sets the "bar," and let's the students know that I expect them to behave properly and in a manner that suits them as secondary students. I tell my students that they have transitioned themselves from elementary to middle school students and that they are now "adults." In the first video, it was obvious to me that the teacher has little to no behavior problems in her class. She treats her students as responsible adults and the students respond to this. I observed respectful and thoughtful students "open" to learning. I think the students have a strong sense of respect for her and they want to apply themselves and work hard. Each student is given a sense of ownership which keeps them occupied leaving little time for behavioral issues.

In video two regarding the Chinese mathematics lessons, I observed the same as above. The students were so focused on the lesson;  behavior didn't seem to be much of an issue.The students were mesmerized by the rhyming chants. Realistically, every classroom will have some behavior issues. In video three, it was harder for me to gauge their behavior.; I am able to assess their behavior. The students seemed well behaved and were participating; but I think after a while the students will grow restless and bored and resort to distracting behavior. 

Image result for norms   Image result for norms
Norms and Procedures
Why is the establishment of norms crucial in the classroom? Norms create student accountability; students take more responsibility for their actions when following the norms they created. I firmly believe this, and that is why all rules and norms in the my classroom are established by the students, themselves.
In Ms. Migdol's class it is apparent that norms are well established. Students seem respectful of one another and engage each other in cooperative learning. Again, I think it's because Ms. Migdol "facilitates" the lessons while letting her students take the lead. She treats them as mature adults and they respond accordingly.

In Ms. Macken's class; norms and rules are established as the students knew exactly what was expected of them and how to "carry out" the lesson. Again, in my assessment, the students are so engaged with "the motions" of the lesson, it is difficult for me to gauge what the classroom environment is really like. It could be that students act differently for the camera. When I filmed my students earlier this week; they were definitely different for the camera! They were making faces and flashing peace signs. I saw this while I was reviewing and submitting my videos.  Lastly, is the Chinese math classroom. The students were elementary age and engrossed in their lesson. It appears to me that the students complete focus is on the lesson. Good for the teacher! I know when I taught elementary ESL last year, I had to constantly focus on the children and give them 150%. In my experience, elementary students lose their focus quite easily if the material is not engaging. This lesson kept the students' focus. That, in itself, makes for a successful lesson. While living on an island last year, I taught both elementary and middle school levels.  One year later (off the island and in a big city), I am fully confident that I made the right decision in only teaching middle school students!
References
Teaching Channel. (n.d.). Roller Coaster Physics: STEM in Action. Retrieved May 14, 2017, from https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/teaching-stem-strategies.
Chen, Crystal. (2011, June 13). 3rd grade Chinese–math class.avi. [Video File]. Retrieved May 14, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7LseF6Db5g.
Roxishayne. (2011, May 31). Whole Brain Teaching Richwood High: The Basics. [Video File]. Retrieved May 14, 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXTtR7lfWU&feature=youtu.be.

No comments:

Post a Comment