Sunday, July 30, 2017

Differentiated Pre-assessment

Image result for students raising hands
(Image via www.cpb.org)
Pre-assessment for Differentiation

When teaching ESL (English as a second language), pre-assessments can be used to:
  • Determine a starting point or base. Yes, I do realize that I teach chronologically per textbook guidelines. However, assessing my students allows me to better "interpret" the textbook's lessons for students. From here, I can brainstorm new activities or supplemental lessons. Sometimes, after assessment, I realize that my planned activities are not relevant or beneficial for students in teaching the lesson. Realizing that those activities aren't beneficial is okay! Being "steadfast" and not reworking your lessons is a sign of an uncaring and rigid teacher, I think. 
  • Assist with the development of differentiated instruction. By "gauging" my students' knowledge level, I can see what areas students need more or less help with. This allows me to pay "special attention" to the PowerPoint slides when I am creating them. I can determine what media, video, and pics are necessary to pique my students' interests.
  • Modify the objectives of the unit. As a teacher, I feel that an "eraser" is a powerful tool. Students erase errors so they can start over again. The same should apply to lesson planning. If students are "well versed" in a certain area, I can "erase, change, and update" my plans to create a better and more meaningful lesson for students. 

(My lesson intro includes the Yeosu CGV theater, familiar to students)
My Pre-assessment activity

When classes resume in August, Grade 9 ESL students will be starting Unit 7: "Let's go to the movies!" This unit is actually a unit that I feel is beneficial to students' lives. Often times, I find the textbook material oddly worded and not practical for or relatable to students. However, I really like this lesson! My boys (I teach at a boys' middle school) love movies. They live for movies! Usually, they are always asking me if I have seen a particular movie or not! This lesson will be a fun lesson to teach and I expect that my students will excell! 

(My classroom touch smartboard, used daily for differentiated instruction)
The pre-assessment that I will be using is a Kahoot! quiz style game. In Korea, quiz competition games are known as "golden bell games." Not only are my students familiar with this style; they love it! Usually, when I incorporate activities into my classroom, the winning team is awarded points by my co-teacher which applies to their class grade. No, I'm not lying! Yes, this is just like Harry Potter! "Ten points to Hufflepuff,"or "five points to Ravenclaw." In this respect, my classroom is just like a Hogwarts classroom! Because of the points that they can receive; students are highly motivated to partipate. Even in the classroom (more so); South Korea is a highly competitive society!  

(I incorporate large photos to aid in the learning of low level ELLs and ADHD students)
Let's get down to business! Here are some screenshots of the Kahoot game that I created for the introductory lesson. It is used in conjuction with the smartboard to make for a huge, high def image presentation! I created 16 questions which span the whole of the unit material. Each question is multiple choice and has 4 answers to select from. The game is played in teams; my classroom has six groups of five boys. I will ask the question, then say "ready, set....GO!" The first group to raise their hands will get to answer the question! If many groups raise their hand at the same time,then we solve it by "gawi, bawi, bo" (rock, paper, scissors). It is a common joke amongst Koreans, that everything in Korea is solved by rock, paper, scissors! My student's love doing this! Truthfully, so do I! It creates a lively and fun atmosphere in the classroom! 

(another slide using images for low level ELLs.)
I am able to keep track of scoring due to Kahoot's "built-in" score tracking system. I love this, because I can't be accused of keeping improper score (believe me, it's happened before!) At the end of the lesson, the points will be taillied to determine the winning team and which category the students fall "under." Students who answer more than 13 questions correctly are considered high level; I will refer to them as "directors!" Students who answer 8 to 13 questions correctly, will be refered to as critics. Students who fail to answer at least 8 questions will be known as "novices." From here, I will be able to determine my class' knowledge level and take the information and apply it to the next three lessons covering the unit. Please refer to the mindmap below in regards to how I will differentiate instruction for the unit following pre-assessment. 





No comments:

Post a Comment