Wednesday, July 12, 2017


Image result for multicultural
Multicultural Education

A background on multiculturalism in Korea from my perspective...

Being an ESL teacher is not just about teaching the "rules" of English; it's also about being a cultural ambassador. I cannot stress the latter enough. I am a cultural ambassador. To many of my students; I am the only foreigner that they have meet (or will meet, for that matter). I always include "nuggets" of culture in most of my lessons. Whether it's American slang, pop culture, or customs and mannerisms,I find a way to incorporate culture into my lessons. Korea is one of the most homogeneous countries in the world. Less than three percent of the population are foreigners. Let that sink in...three percent! 

Itaewon Restraurant Street in Seoul!
The capital and largest city in Korea is the Seoul National Capital Metropolitan Area; it has a population of nearly 20 million people. It is the third largest metropolitan area in the world. There are many foreigners in Seoul; in fact, Seoul has the largest foreign population in Korea. In Seoul, I don't "stand out", nobody looks my way! (Which is a nice change of pace once in awhile). It's refreshing to be in Seoul and see many different cultures; especially in Itaewon (pronounced ee-tay-won). What China Town is to many cities is what Itaewon is to western expats here in Korea. It is our "western town." It is common to see people of different cultures walking down the street. When I am in Itaewon, I am bombarded by English signage and familiar things from back home. McDonald's, Taco Bell, Nike Town, On the Border Cafe, Dunkin Donuts, and many other American shops line Itaewon Street. For a brief moment, I forget that I live in Korea! I think that the Itaewon area of Seoul is a "treasure" for Seoul residents because it allows them a "glimpse" of other cultures no matter how brief the encounter. Also, students who live in Seoul are exposed to much more multiculturalism than those who reside outside of Seoul. However, not all of Korea is Seoul. Once you leave Seoul, it's a whole different story.

Image result for ktx yeosu
the KTX arrives at Yeosu Expo Station!

Let's board the KTX (high speed bullet train) and head four hours south of Seoul to my city, Yeosu. (Or you can take a 45 minute flight on Korean Air for $40 USD, your choice!) Yeosu City is not a multicultural city. In fact, there were only 82 racially mixed and foreign born students in Yeosu in 2015 (per the Jeollanamdo 2015 Statistical Book). When you step off the train and onto the platform in Yeosu, the lack of diversity "slaps you in the face!" I love Yeosu and it feels like home, but, as a foreigner, I stand out. 


100% of the students in my school are ethnic Koreans. There are no foreign students. That's right, all 460 students are Korean. Other than my class, TV, and an occasional vacation; I am the only foreigner that my students come in contact with. Sometimes it can be a heavy burden, but I use it as an opportunity to show my students that I am just like them (much more than they think). From my experiences, Koreans are still very shy when they interact with foreigners; it can be quite awkward. Because I live in Korea, anytime I go shopping or speak interact with a salesperson, I ALWAYS use Korean. I never expect Koreans to speak English to me because I reside in their country. However, this still leads to akward interactions. Many times they respond in broken English which leads me to telling them (in Korean) to please respond to me in Korean. As someone who is learning Korean, it can be very frustrating. It makes me think that no matter how much Korean I speak or how much of their customs I acclimate to my daily life, I will always be an outsider or "waygookin" in their eyes. However, my students are fully used to me and treat me as one of their own teachers. We share food, stories, conversations, good times, and bad times; my students treat me as a normal person and I love them for that. I also think that being a Native English Teacher helps facilitate confidence in Korean students (in interacting with foreigners).

My Korean best friend (and a few of my students) informed me that this is because many Koreans feel that we (westerners) are judging them by their English ability. I informed my friend and my students that this is NOT the case at all and is 100% FALSE. I tell them that most foreigners judge them by how they interact with us and if they treat us like people. My students were like "oh my god, that makes sense!" One simple little discussion with my students completely changed their mindset on how they interact with foreigners. ONE. LITTLE. CONVERSATION. So, you see, I am, in fact, a cultural ambassador. I know that I am making a difference in my students lives!

Image result for foreigners in korea
Photo courtesy of Arirang News (the English Language News Service of South Korea).

Why is multiculturalism in the classroom important in Korea?
For the first time ever, the foreign population in South Korea surpassed 2 million people (Korea Herald). Another contributing factor is the falling birth rate. South Korea's birthrate has fallen to one of the lowest birthrates in the world. The population is declining and unless the birth rate increases, foreigners in Korea will increase (and change) the population of South Korea. With the demographics of the Korean population changing, it is inevitable that my students will come in contact with another culture that is not their own. For this reason, my students need to be exposed to multicultural lessons. 

Another reason for multicultural education is to increase students' sensitivity and knowledge of other cultures. Recently, in the news (again), was a story on some Korean variety TV shows doing blackface. There are a few comedy shows where the comedians paint their skin black and proceed to tell jokes in "black face." Although it highly offends me, all I can do is set a positive example for my students when they meet and interact with foreigners. There are times that I have to explain what is culturally appropriate and what is not. Of course, this is told from my perspective of a western English speaker. However, when learning a language it is important to learn the culture and custom (the do's and don'ts) of the culture whose language you are learning. Yesterday as I was playing my "Unique Answers" game with my grade 9 students; one of the categories was name 3 things that are black. One of my students blurted out an unacceptable term (I will not say, but it is easy to imagine what was said); I educated them on why it is hurtful to people when that word is said. My students are not mean-spirited (in fact, they are quite loving and kind), but they didn't know that that word is not acceptable in English. I used that occasion as a learning opportunity to explain to them why that word is hurtful from a different perspective. Now when my students travel to Seoul or outside of the country, they will be more mindful and aware of others' feelings. Through out the year, I have done many different cultural lessons: we sampled Mexican and Italian food, made travel posters; and discussed the impact of foreign films in Korea. I also encourage my students to ask questions all the time. If they have any questions about American culture; I encourage them to not be shy and to "ask away!"

(me) in Hanbok (traditional dress) in 2015 for my friend's traditional Korean wedding
Last, but not least, multiculturalism is a two-way street. I learn from my students as well. They are a great source of knowledge. I frequently ask them questions where they explain things about Korean grammar and culture. Because I am in my third year of learning Korean and love living here; my students know that I value their culture as much as I value my own. There is always time to learn about different cultures. It is a vital part of classroom curriculum in my opinion!


No comments:

Post a Comment